Friday, September 16, 2011

new oil

I do not like my painting very much because I feel one needs to learn how to paint realistically before one can understand how to go painterly; otherwise, the painterly description covers up for how much I have to learn.
I wanted to put a long skinny daisy in my glass, but this daffodil was the best thing I could find. I am always entranced by sprawling fields filled with Queen Anne's lace, blue corn flower, and daisies; therefore, I wanted to bring that quant beauty into my painting. I do not feel as if I did so however, because I did not paint the image of what such a flower deserves.
Using a flower, I am describing myself as a flower, with a long skinny structure that blooms on top.
If I could do my painting again I would probably try painting the painting in black and white and then adding a varnish of color on top. I always muddy my paintings, especially with water soluble oil paints. I need to begin again with simplicity and work up to complex color.
My goal through this was the make the glass seem to pop off of the page and out of the different color hues. I do not feel like I accomplished this; this perspective is quite flat.
My painting is about the light and how it reflects on a white space. The difficulty in this was to find the understandable values of chiaroscuro in my colors. Some were the wrong tint and they threw off the background and foreground of the painting.
My painting works best where the stem meets the water.
I would like to bring better structure and shape into my next paintings; hence the switch to mountain landscapes.
My greatest artist mentor is Andrew Wyeth  but the saturation in his work is so low yet the hues are so complimentary of each other. I would like the achieve this simple realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment