Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Pieces of ARTWORK

My concentration for the past few weeks has been this set of deer antlers that I had brought in and installed in the gallery. I did a Jesso and charcoal layering piece on the skulls; I produced a fast, Wyatt-like charcoal of the blunt hanging antlers; and lastly, I made transposed the charcoal scene into a drawing. From the jesso experiment I learned the how to make artwork almost like a puzzle of marks that hides the themes of the work from the direct gaze of teh viewer. It's fun to see people look at it in a kind of confusion as to what is being depicted, and when I tell them that it is a skull of an animal the reaction is even better. In the charcaol, I printed on two boards that go together to complete eachother. It is sketchy as I said and it is not one of the best but it shows progression. I feel that markmaking for such a thing is pointless unless everymark has a purpose. I was trying in that piece to make interesting marks, but they only took away from the dimensions of my artwork. Mark making is not a way of making my work look interesting and sloppy, because it should only be used like symbols on a map to guide a viewer's eyes along the reality of the subject matter. In the drawing, however, I do believed that I better achieved this. I learned to study a picture of the subject and the way that the pixles transpose a real-life image of what was taken. Where there is the darkest marks, the lightest highlights finely outline it. When I tried to do this with my drawing, the crispness of the antlers suddenly seemed to jump off the paper. It looked surprisinly real and I had never experienced that before. It is nice to gain understanding from experimentation. I hope you see an improvement.




1 comment:

  1. Clare,I am only seeing your first picture, the others are not coming up. However ,judging from what I can see you are really getting to the essence of your subject. The antle on the right seems to hover over the paper like a 3D image.
    I like your comment about marks having a purpose. So true. Sometimes purposes can be discovered in the making of them.

    ReplyDelete